Our History

St. Peter’s Church, located in the community of Upper Gullies, is housed in the oldest church building in the town of Conception Bay South.

Historically part of the Missions of South Shore Conception Bay and Foxtrap, the congregation began meeting in the former Hopewell Church, in 1876. As the number of settlers in the area grew, so did the congregation. By 1898 it was clear to both clergy and people that a new place of worship was needed.

On July 20, 1905, the cornerstone was laid for the present church building, which was consecrated as St. Peter’s Church on November 16, 1909.

St. Peter’s became an independent parish of the Anglican Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador on September 26, 1976. The Parish Hall Annex was completed in November 1980, giving St. Peter’s it current form. In 2003, the church and adjoining cemetery were designated heritage properties by the Town of Conception Bay South.